Thursday, November 22, 2007

It is just me, or does this not make any sense?

Was down the tax office this morning getting the motor sorted out. Don't worry, I'm not going to go on about taxes as it's not exactly entertaining. Maybe I'm assuming too much that other things I write about are entertaining...

Anyway the thing is I was wondering what all the different tax classes were, so I downloaded the full "motor vehicle rates of duty" document, and came across this tax band:

- Island Vehicles: €78

Island vehicles?!? Last time I checked, Ireland was an island. According to the Jameson Distillery tour video, it's "Ireland: an island, off an island, off the coast of Europe." It's surrounded by water. It's got indigenous stuff like flowers, wild animals (residents of Limerick City) and tinkers that aren't found anywhere else in the world. According to wikipedia, Ireland is the third largest island in Europe. I also looked at the CIA factbook and they mentioned our island status. However they also said that the "cabinet is appointed by the president with previous nomination by the prime minister and approval of the House of Representatives ", so maybe they're not the most trustworthy source. Eitherways, these mysterious "island" people should have the "mainland" power cut off until they start paying their way. Knackers.

No comments: