Monday, May 12, 2008

Don't want my money? Fine.

I need to ring Revenue, because I apparently owe them tax from 2006. I call the Collector General's number, and go through three or four automated menus until I hear this tiny, weak voice of an old lady on the end of the phone:

"We are sorry for the inconvenience but all of our lines are busy. Please ring back later."

Honestly she sounded like she was a relic from the famine era, holed up in a tiny cottage on Inisbofin. Irrespective of the ghost of Ireland past on the phone, the question has to be asked: why don't have a queing system? A call back system? A voicemail system? They do have a voice recognition system that can understand you on the first go, unlike the Eircom "Sorry, I didn't get that" guys chummy answer to everything you say; but you've to hang up if all of the phonejockeys are busy?

Fine. I'll keep my money so.


No comments: